5.11.11

A Walk

Today was a suprisingly nice day in the mountains. The sun shone in the middle of the surprisingly clear and blue sky, I didn't really need the coat that was crammed on me as I utilized the chance to get out of the house. Why waste all of my day in front of the computer when I can take a walk?

Mom sent sis along. Sis was completely against the idea, and I had to wait a full hour before she finally got her stuff together (with mom's aid) and we left for the north face of the mountain. Snigger all you want, I don't care - the ascent angle, coupled with the fact that the ground was nowhere to be seen from under the dense level of leaves as well as my shoes' lack of traction, made for an interesting experience. For sis, as she laughed herself silly at the sight of me struggling upwards, clasping onto whatever was at hand, including trees, roots and rocks. To make things funnier, the dog evaporated. Fortunately, I managed to convince sis that it's nigh impossible for the dog to spontaneously disintegrate into atoms, and we met up with our canine buddy at the top of the hill. The pooch was quite fortunate, we had to wade through bushes and whatnot whilst he could just dart through small holes in the foliage.

Reaching the top of the hill did not imply the halfway point of our journey, though - we conventionally take the long way down, past the wood processing facility outpost. Our favorite oversized log vanished, probably converted to a batch of textbooks or something similar, but there were still enough of them laying around for sis to burn a good half hour dashing up and down them. I never got how she could do that, I'd probably fall and die within two seconds. After a brief investigation of something perceived as the dog limping (what we were probably dealing with was uneven terrain), we continued our trek.

Some more silly distractions later (a random doggie behind a fence that sis decided to entertain with some sticks to fetch, and then her discovering a blister on her toe), we reached the epic bend... the road makes a pretty big U-shape, but cutting through a shortcut would be somewhat challenging due to the steep slopes and lively stream in between said slopes. Sis decided to go for it. I decided it's far too adventurous for me, and took the long U-way out of the problem. When reaching the appropriate slope, I saw sis... she appeared stuck somewhere and looking a little sheepish. I sighed a huge sigh of "told ya so" and took the road back to help rescue her (she appeared much closer to the original spot from which she took the detour). Upon arrival, I was greeted by her familiar pink sweater... on the other side of the road. Same strip of road, take three. Was fun, at least, and I still have no idea how she pulled it off.

Perusing Queen. Their early records are pretty darn solid prog stuff, where was this all my life? I feel a 70's bender coming up in my blood. About time, too. I'm slowly running out of 90's death subcultures to research.

No comments:

Post a Comment