29.10.11

Rumpy the Raspberry (Bush) Slayer

Most of the stuff I take on lasts two iterations at most. I once created a blog, wrote two posts, got flooded with "ohai ur blog am teh awsum check owt mai blog kthxbai" comments, never went back. Wrote two Badgerbangers. Stuff like that. This is my third blog post, so hooray!

I'm in the mountains. This means a slower internet connection and zero cell phone use, not that I mind. Well, I do mind the slow-motion internet a bit - I accidentally found a pretty darn nice band yesterday and set up a download of their lone release. I came up with this brilliant idea at midnight, and my computer forecasted that with the slow-motion pacing of the connection (a leisurely 8 KB/s transfer) would take about three hours to get the file. So, I found Shutdown Monster and set it to turn off the lapper when the download would be done. Yay, technology! A first for me, using this kind of program.

I finally got a chance to have revenge on the darned raspberry bushes. It's not that I don't like raspberries, I just hate picking raspberries when you get wasps that also want in on the fruit flying all over the place, and the darned bushes spawning their stuff over the period of a month and a half, so instead of one good picking (that one time when there were no wasps would have been good) I had to endure this thing on multiple occasions. So, today I got handed a sharp utensil and an explicit order to hack those things into oblivion as winter is coming.

Apparently, my childhood obsession with bulldozers never quite went away, as I got a hell of a kick from cutting those things down. A quick cleave and another part of the line of bushes lay detached on the ground. And again. And again. Before I knew it, I was at the end of the row, with every last bush hacked up as ordered, and my head spinning.

Now the once-bushes are sizzling merrily, the flames eating the branches up. The main attraction of the fire is a whole bunch of gigantic planks. I have no idea where they came from, but now they're slowly burning up. It's awesome how burning leaves look, at least from these bushes... the way they shrivel up, go through a number of color changes, and then they fly off with the smoke, leaving a tiny shard of a stem behind. Fascinating. No, I'm not a pyromaniac.

The Pep burned out a bit. I had some nice ideas, including a riff I deemed as very satisfactory and aurally pleasing, I took it to the band, and The Dude nayed it as he didn't like one note of the chord. Changing it would have destroyed the purpose of the whole musical idea, there was a heavy harmonic leaning in there, both in the rhythm and the lead, and yet he somehow failed to notice it and the idea was binned. Hmph.

If all goes well, The Pro will send me the Paraxism rip sometime early this coming week. I'm really hoping it will work out... I know the four tapes I scavenged by heart, and the more the merrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment