23.10.11

Pep!

I'm inspiration-dependent when it comes to writing music. Sure, I can sit down and spit out a track or two for the fun of it whenever, but it's usually pretty disposable drivel. Stuff that I actually deem listenable comes out when I'm in a certain mental state, which could be likened to Wild Man Fischer's "pep". Usually, my "pep" comes in the spring, but it shows up other times as well.

It opted to show up now. Maybe my body decided to re-harness the hormone boom I just got.

I've actually got to restrain myself from writing, as I'm in a band that actually seems to display competence... so it would be too self-centered to walk in with half an album this coming Thursday. All I've got is a warped riff that feels like mid-era Paraxism fell into a wormhole and had my DNA spliced into them by force, and a tender lead for the song that's actually completed. The "pep" is bubbling and wants moar, but I'm keeping it contained.

The need for the lead is what set the "pep" off in the first place. I usurped part of the calm interlude for some noodling, and I decided the song deserved something a little more focused than random penta fingerwalking. Perusing Scum's Purple Dreams And Magic Poems was what did the trick... the record is formally death metal, and it does stick true to the template, but there's a beauty and fragility in the notes, a passion in the melodies. "Flames Of The Silver Sea" is one of the most flawless songs ever conceived. Something about the raw charm of the phrasing, the emotion when the higher register is entered... it just did it for me. The barrier snapped, and I "pepped" up a lead. I had to tweak it, as The Dude did not appreciate my tiny f# minor swing (oh come on, the chord in the vamp was third-less, so I used it's second-based nature to diverge the harmonic context for a few seconds), but after tweaking the two notes he deemed off, the lead is staying. Good.

I'll probably snap and write a whole end-section based on the Paraxism'y riff that snuck out from under my fingers yesterday. My head's buzzing with loose idea shards, this feeling is awesome.

As I already mentioned "Flames Of The Silver Sea" - one of the best moments of my life came when I blasted the song whilst staring at a beautiful mountain panorama, the sun in my face, the wind in my hair. I felt butterflies in my stomach as the beauty of music and the beauty of nature interwined before my being. Mission accomplished, you hippy death metallers, pat yourselves on the back.

The Dude is saying that The World's Most Beautiful Woman is some haunted psychopath who talks about souls and angels and whatnot. Ayup, slight ideology conflict, crisis averted, can move on with my life now.

No comments:

Post a Comment